Troubling messages from AC 1.0 smp kernel

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Wed May 18 01:01:43 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 08:48:15PM -0400, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> I'm seeing this immediately on boot:
>
> No per-cpu room for modules.
> Audit(xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) Initialized
>
> Then, a whole series of these in the logs:
>
> May 17 18:41:42 dhcppc2 kernel: Could not allocate 8 bytes percpu data
> May 17 18:41:42 dhcppc2 modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting ipv6 (/lib/modules/2.6.11-1.1180axp_FC3smp/kernel/net/ipv6/ipv6.ko): Cannot allocate memory

etc/etc/etc

> Any ideas?  Machine is a DP264.

Yes. This appears to be a problem associated with SMP kernels only.

Currently, with the ipv6 support compiled as a module, some limitation
of the toolchain on Alpha for SMP (compiler/linker/loader) is
exceeded, and the module so produced does NOT load correctly at runtime.

It's most annoying because something in the basic configuration of the
SYSTEM (as opposed to the KERNEL) is requesting some resource that the
IPV6 module is required to satisfy (even if negatively). This seems to
cause infrequent but constant messages to be issued upon the load
failure.

Somebody want to take a stab at solving this?

Certainly, one way would be to build that IPV6 module into the kernel,
but there MUST be a better way...

HELP!

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com