IDE drive geometry problem

Michal Jaegermann michal at ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca
Thu May 26 15:09:30 UTC 2005

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 12:20:08AM -0700, Bob R. Taylor wrote:
> However, the kernel panics with a
> message HEADS = 0.

Even if you will boot with 'hde=noprobe'?

> I did some research and gave the kernel
> hde=14589,255,63. This got me INVALID HEADS.

"Disk geometry" is for a long time really an invented fiction.  If you
do not have any other overriding reasons, like sharing a disk with
another OS which insist on some particular geometry, then if you have to
give such numbers do that as 'x,64,32' where 'x' is what you need for
your disk.  You will end up with 1 Meg cylinders.

  Michal