New AC2 release candidate test boot cd image

Pasi Pirhonen upi at iki.fi
Thu Nov 3 05:35:10 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 11:12:18PM +0300, Sergey Tikhonov wrote:
> Pasi Pirhonen wrote:
>

> >Oh. Please do. Next AC-version will be greatly ahead of what
> >

> Would you please post the contents of "/etc/redhat-release" (of cause if
> there is such file)?
> Or name and contents of file that is used as the one above.

[root at a /]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 4.2 (Final)

So the '4.2' part should cary from U-level to U-level, but this is the
format we use generally and there always is /etc/redhat-release

Actually i'd drop even the /etc/redhat-release, but world is too bound
for finding this file there, that it actually would have to be there as
symlink anyway.

> >CentOS-4.x is and never will be. It's not going to follow upstream for
> >upcominmg years and will become boringly old for anyone whom wants to
> >explore something more recent set of software.
> >
> >Then again, the goal is to support that for next 6 or so years.
> >

> I understand, you have some many platforms to support.

I'd say 'few' is sometimes now traslating 'too many'

CentOS-3: ia64, s390, s390x
CentOS-4: ia64, s390, s390x, alpha, sparc

And i have weird fixation about PA-RISC on my head too, but fortunately
i don't have even suitable hardware available ,-)

Generally i have moved a lot towards of these 'out of upstream'
versions lately (namely alpha, sparc), but i do obey my bounds to 'you
support what you have released' for other arches too.

This is a good as any point to mention, that i did think very carefully
before i even did made any alpha/axp version publically available, that
i do have to take care of it 5-6 years worst (or find someone other to
take care of it).

--
Pasi Pirhonen - upi at iki.fi - http://iki.fi/upi/