CentOS 4.2 for alpha

Pasi Pirhonen upi at iki.fi
Thu Oct 20 22:17:48 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 06:02:15PM -0400, Jay Estabrook wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 11:06:44AM -0500, terry.bowling at verizon.com wrote:
> >
> > I came across an update posted on the CentOS page.  www.centos.org  Shows
> > the new 4.2 release for nearly all arch's and the Alpha arch is no longer
> > beta?  Anyone try this lately?  I'm hoping to next week.
>
> Yes, it is real.
>
> Installed from CD very easily on an LX164.
>
> Currently in the midst of an NFS install to a DS25, which looks good
> as well...
>
> NICE JOB by the the CentOS Alpha folk!!!! :-) :-) :-)

I can pinpoint several problems with it, but as i have been saying,
it's a start. Generally i am now quite happy with it when i can have
'mostly same kernel than mainstream CentOS' on it, which was not the
case for initial beta-release.

I have to still say that i am no way a qualified person keeping up the
changes on kernel area. even tho i've managed to make it work, it
doesn't imply that i truly understand anything about kernel internals,
so there would be open position (hint :).

Only thing i've learned my few years of merging all kind of weird
patched in kerne, is that it's amazing how much punishment Linux-kernel
can actually take, and still work mostly OK :)

How i do see it, it's like CentOS-4/alpha trying to be something long
term for people that does need such features. It will give the AlphaCore
more freedom for being bleeding edge.

Eventually i'd like to see Fedora Core/alpha released for every
mainstream release, but it might be just me.

Actually my only SMP box being ES45, it's kind of 'too hot for me'. I
do need SMP-box for testing kernels etc. but frankly the ES45 draws too
much juice for me to keep it on all the time.

Winter, as it's steadily coming, helps things out on cooling area, but
that doesn't change the fact that eventually i will blow up my fuses
when trying to keep everything online :)

But anyway. Thank you Jay for your kind and engouraging words. I wasn't
quite sure how this 'yet another ripoff of RHEL4 codebase' would be
taken by community, but generally i do now have feeling that it's
accepted, so it makes me work even harder with all problems popping up
future.

--
Pasi Pirhonen - upi at iki.fi - http://iki.fi/upi/