New AC2 release candidate test boot cd image

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Fri Oct 21 15:40:04 UTC 2005

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 07:01:55PM -0400, U. George wrote:
> Jay Estabrook wrote:
> >
> > 	AlphaBook1	an Alpha laptop running RH 4.2 on LCA45 at 233MHz
>
> how many of these were made ( should I also ask shipped ) at that time?

Dunno how many were made OR shipped - I had a pair. They cost ~$10K
each, IIRC.

It was originally a VMS "check-box" item - in order to qualify for
government contracts, the same OS had to run on everythinbg from
laptop to mainframe.

A port of Tru64 to it came later (for same reason, IIRC), and later
still, Linux (because we could :-).

HDDs are SCSI, not IDE, which will be a problem when they fail.

Screen was TFT (10.4 inch?), driven by a WD chipset; had to craft a
custom X server from XFree86 3.3 (or there-abouts).

The CPU was LCA45, so could run at 233MHz, but this would get too hot.
Fortunately, there was thermal/battery monitoring, and the CPU could
be throttled (happiest running at 115MHZ or 57MHz).

It was fun to get RH onto it, but it was HEAVY and HOT and SLOW, so
it was never more than a toy for us.

Oh, yeah, the batteries were NiMH and were down to 70% after a single
boot into X... ;-}

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com