CentOS 4.2 for alpha

Pasi Pirhonen upi at iki.fi
Fri Oct 21 19:48:17 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 02:30:11PM -0400, Robert Williams wrote:

> Now I'm looking at the floppy boot images, generic.img
> etc...they are too big.   My boxes only see the floppy
> device and one hard disk.  Can anyone give some advice
> about whether I should try this install and how to get
> started?

>From the methods you seem to be able to so, i'd say putting the

/kernels/vmlinux.gz
/images/cdrom.img

on running system /boot dir and making suitable aboot entry for it,
should get one going. It would be one wat trip tho when installed over,
but the goal is to get later OS in, right?

I have actually tested this oacassionally on i386, x86-64 and even
sparc for my first installer generation attempt.

When there actually is no CD-ROM and the rest of the installer, it
failsafes and ask you from where you want to fetch the sencond stage
installer (ftp,http,nfs) and walk you thru from there.

The usual 'text', 'askmethod', 'console=ttyS0' etc. apply to that aboot
trick too. There are some samples, if not familiar, at /etc/aboot.conf
on installation DVD/CD1.

That's at least how i would tacle problem like this.

HTH

--
Pasi Pirhonen - upi at iki.fi - http://iki.fi/upi/