CPU Arch Detection

Mike Barnes mike at grouse.net.au
Sat Oct 22 11:45:06 UTC 2005

I was building up a few packages for CentOS (I wanted DVD playback,
basically), and noticed something about building for an "alphaev6" target.

The build process works OK - I produced a xine-lib that performs a LOT
better than the default - and things WORK when installed. The snag is
that RPM doesn't recognise alphaev6 as a suitable architecture on my
DS10. I have to use --ignorearch.

I remember hitting this a while back, building an EV6 optimisied glibc
for Alpha Core, and I think we worked out this down to a bug in uname,
not reporting the variation properly, but I can't recall the full details.

Did anyone get this sorted, or does anyone know what might need patching up?

Oh, and if anyone wants the CentOS packages for Xine, see:
http://alphacore.info/files/centos/

DVD playback is fine when using the EV6 xine-lib on a 466MHz DS10. It's
just barely coping, though. Anything faster should be fine. There's a
totem-xine package there too, which seems to run a little better than
Xine itself.

SRPMs are unmodified from the DAG repository, just rebuilt for CentOS
4.2/Alpha. I'll do some Alpha Core builds once 2.0 releases.