CPU Arch Detection

Pasi Pirhonen upi at iki.fi
Sat Oct 22 18:58:30 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 10:35:57PM +0400, Sergey Tikhonov wrote:

> I recall of debugging rpm in order to understand the issue. If I recall
> correctly rpm takes arch
> from /etc/rpm/platform - if it doesn't exists - it does use  asm
> instructions to get CPU type.
> The above "arch_compat" macros says that "alpha" packages can be
> installed on "alphaev6" arch
> not the way around. I remember modifying platform file for alphaev6 and
> I was able to install
> alphaev6 rpm without using --ignorearch flag.

Now, when we are at it, what would be the consensus on this issue. I
don't have my ES45 on right now, so can't check, but i do believe it
writes there 'alphaev68-redhat-linux' to /etc/rpm/platform which makes
it retty much digest anything from above.

I do see on EV45 machine 'alpha-redhat-linux' on my /etc/rpm/platform,
but i don't really remember if i have tampered with it after
installation (did install that from beta-version back Jun).

What i read above, it would be best to mod anaconda not write any
/etc/rpm/platform at all?

--
Pasi Pirhonen - upi at iki.fi - http://iki.fi/upi/