AlphaServer 400 vs. Alpha Core 1.0

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Wed Oct 26 14:46:05 UTC 2005

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 06:18:16PM +0400, Sergey Tikhonov wrote:

> > I 've got a Digital AlphaServer 400 4/166 and I'm all new to Alpha
> > family.
> > Is it possible to install Alpha Core 1.0 on it ?
>
> Other people have reported problems with kernel not recognizing onboard
> scsi controller, but no kernel hang up.

At times, it has appeared like the NCR 810 was giving problems. That
was a common card in AVANTIs (AS2x0/AS300/AS400), IIRC.

> What video card do you use?

Could be original TGA; if so, then with AC-1.0, you need to get a real
VGA, as original TGA was not supported in the 2.6.11-1.1180axp_FC3
kernels. Note that TGA-2 already has a VGA built in, so it should be OK.

> What network card do you have?

The DE500-BA version has caused problems on other platforms, notably
AS800, but this could be a factor. The workaround was to simply unplug
the ethernet from the card in order to get install to work.

> > I've tried it, but it hangs after loading kernel.
>
> Does it display anything after initrd loading?

Yes, please, at least indicate the last messages seen before hanging...

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com