DS20E, Alpha Core 1.0 and CentOS 4.2 installers do not boot

Sergey Tikhonov tsv at solvo.ru
Thu Oct 27 06:29:52 UTC 2005

K Hanai wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am new to alphas.
>I am trying to install AC 1.0 or CentOS 4.2.
>But both the installers do not boot.
>AC 1.0 displaying (last few lines)
>
>iso: First datazone: 29 Root inode number 59392
>aboot: loading compressed /kernels/vmlinux.gz
> unzip: unknown compression method
>aboot: loading uncompressed /kernels/vmlinux.gz
>aboot: read returned 0 instead of 8 bytes
>then aboot prompts.

What boot command do you give?
Try to do: b <your cd drive> -flags A
The aboot won't try to autoboot any configurations and you should get
into aboot prompt.
 From there you could use "help" to get list of supported command.
l - display preconfigured boot configurations (one of them)
To boot preconfigured boot configuration just enter its number and press
Enter. :)
You could try rescue boot configuration just to check out that kernel
could be booted and all your hardware is recognized.
If it does - reboot and choose one of the "text" or "graphic" install modes.

>in the case of CentOS4.2,
>iso: First datazone: 28 Root inode number 57344
>aboot: loading compressed /kernels/vmlinux.gz
>aboot: zero-filling 2862456 bytes at 0xfffffc00018d3870
>aboot: loading initrd (5355113 bytes/ 5229 blocks) at
>0xfffffc00ff958000
>aboot: read returned 0 instead of 5355520 (5230 * 1024) bytes
>then aboot prompts.

Most likely it is default values for boot flags that cause aboot to
autoboot and have problems.

>My machine is DS20E (SRM firmware the latest 7.0) dual 667 MHz
>cpus with 4 GB RAM. ac2-qboot1.iso does boot, then I am expecting
>AC 2.0.

That's good to hear.

Regards,

--