AlphaServer 400 vs. Alpha Core 1.0

Sergey Tikhonov tsv at solvo.ru
Thu Oct 27 14:04:45 UTC 2005

Marek wrote:

> Sergey Tikhonov wrote:
>
>> Marek wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Finally I' ve got the problem you mention below. It looks like
>>> NCR810 is new problem.
>>> During text installation I see for while window like loading
>>> sym5..., then ask me for source
>>> of installation, I enter CDROM, and then I see window with Choose
>>> driver ..., and any driver
>>> doesn't work.
>>> Thank you for any idea
>>

>> Well. One hint would be to try boot into the rescue mode using AC1
>> installation CD or
>> new AC2 test boot disk (it would be very helpfull if your do it and
>> we could try to resolve the issue).
>

> I have no downloaded AC2 up to now, so AC1, AC2 later ...
>
>> Try to switch consoles (Alt-Fx) to see what kernel says during scsi
>> driver load attempt.
>

> In Alt-F3 console there is about sym... module, and it seems to be
> without error messages,
> anly line
> Got to setupCdrom without a CD device
> looks like problem.
> In Alt-F4 console is one error line
> PCI: Unable to reserve I/O region #1:100 at 10000 for device 0000:00:06.0

Looking at config of machine from another person (show conf in SRM):
Firmware
SRM Console: X3.9-1387
ARC Console: 4.1-22
PALcode: VMS PALcode X5.48-87, OSF PALcode X1.35-57
Serial Rom: 1.3
Diag Rom: V1.1

Processor
DECchip (tm) 21064A-6 233Mhz 512KB Cache

MEMORY
64 Meg of System Memory
Bank 0 = 64 Mbytes(32 MB Per Simm) Starting at 0x0
Bank 1 = No Memory Detected
Bank 2 = No Memory Detected

PCI Bus
Bus 00 Slot 06: NCR 810 Scsi Controller
pka0.7.0.6.0 SCSI Bus ID 7
dka0.0.0.6.0 RZ26L
dka500.5.0.6.0 RRD43

I guess the error message you gave is for device 0000:00:06.0 that
happens to be scsi controller. :(
I can not say to for sure what cause this message, could it be resolved
(let say by module options or removing by cards from PCI).
May be others have some advice (Jay? :) ).

>> Try to find out PCI IDs for scsi controller. My AS200/233 has following:
>> Class 0100: 1000:0001 (rev 02)
>> Scsi storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c810 (rev 02)
>

> How can I find it ?

Have you ran RH7.2 on it? This info was given by linux running on my
machine.

Regards,

--
Sergey Tikhonov