Installation Problem

Michal Jaegermann michal at ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca
Fri Sep 9 23:06:30 UTC 2005

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 03:04:23PM -0700, junk email wrote:

> I was able to boot from the ide cd-rom at first then
> it failed to read after the vmlinux was load.

You are trying to install something which is long time obsolete.  Later
HP rewrote boot and installation code to a version which was
substantially more robust and avoided troubles which were known to exist
on various configurations.  This is still available at
ftp://ftp2.compaq.com/pub/linux/RedHat/7.2-alpha/HPWrapper/
(as well as some updates in
ftp://ftp2.compaq.com/pub/linux/RedHat/7.2-alpha/updates/
location).  I just checked a minute ago.

Saying that you will likely be better off if you will try something more
current.  Say "Alpha Core" (look in archives of this list) or maybe
whatever Debian has currently for Alpha.

   Michal