CentOS on wildfire

Sergey Tikhonov tsv at solvo.ru
Fri Aug 25 15:14:01 UTC 2006

Robin Humble wrote:

>On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 08:18:54PM +0300, Pasi Pirhonen wrote:
>

>>On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 03:14:55PM -0400, Robin Humble wrote:
>>

>>>I've built almost all of the rpms from the 4.4 release now (everything
>>>since ~Feb '06). I think only oprofile, ltrace, and tog-pegasus are
>>>missing - the other 150 are patched where needed and rebuilt. some have
>>>even been tested! :)
>>>
>>>what's the procedure to get these into the CentOS distribution and
>>>signed with the CentOS key etc?
>>>

>>This is kind of wrong place for this kind of talk, but propably you
>>should contaact Johnny Hughes if you're serious and able to maintain
>>CentOS-4/axp.
>>

>I've built the update 4 rpms and it seems a shame to waste them by
>not pushing the effort back into CentOS somehow - contributing back to
>the community etc. ...  the rpms are far more useful if they're at
>CentOS's site than they are just sitting in a public repo of mine.
>
>I'm ok with keeping fairly up to date rebuilding RHEL 4 sources and I'm
>happy to keep on doing that. RHEL 5 would be a fair chunk of work and
>I'm not sure I'll have time for that (or indeed for how much longer I'll
>have access to alpha hardware).

Surely, it might be a lot of work. :) I have almost all packages built
for AC3, but modular xorg doesn't work
on my Radeon. :( I haven't had time to understand what could be wrong,
but all my attempts failed. I doubt
that that AC3 could be usefull for workstations. :(

>however, I don't have a clue about how to make a CentOS 4.4 iso from
>rpms, or how to seed a bittorrent, and am not all that keen to deal
>with lots of CentOS politics (if it exists) either.

If you like I could give you instructions how to build isos out of bunch
of packages. Hope it would work for CentOS too.

>that's why I was asking here - for help with the above and for help
>keeping CentOS for alpha alive...

PS. If it is interesting to someone - I was able to implement JIT for
Mono C# on Linux/Alpha. It is not even in beta version yet, but does pass
a lot of internal tests and could print "Hello world!". :)

Regards,

--
Sergey Tikhonov

Solvo Ltd.