Next release of AlphaCore? JUST DO IT

Jon_norstog AKA "Thursday" thursday at allidaho.com
Fri Feb 10 05:46:59 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 20:55 +0200, Pasi Pirhonen wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 07:08:18PM +0100, Steven Moix - Axianet.ch wrote:
> > Maybe I missed something but if the alphacore team migrates to help CentOS
> > it would not be a bad move I think, it's much widely used.
> >

> This is as good insertion point as the other email speculating with
> above.
>
> There has not been any 'migration' with projects or i have been quite
> widely missinformed and i am supposed to be 'the man' with CentOS side
> of alpha/axp things.
>
> Let's make once more perfectly clear that if there would not have been
> so much work done with AlphaCore already, the CentOS born might have
> been much much harder work and maybe aven failed totally.
>
> People are quite right about that it has had it's 15 mins already and
> won't much shine now for several years.
>
> If the dev bransh is indeed dead, i might pay more attention to that
> too, but it's definetly something i'd like to take on my shoulders if i
> don't have to. I actually started to crunch sparc up to gcc4/FC5-level
> of stuff lately ,-)

To Pasi and the Cent OS and also to the Alpha Core guys, Sergei and all -

I am just pleased to get any OS upgrade for my Alpha.  Do you guys ever
sleep? I figure I'll be able to use my XP1000 another 4 years, even if
you all quit tomorrow.  If you stay with it ... well!

I'm running AC 1.0 on a 667 XP, and it is as snappy and fast as Fedora
4.0 on my XP2000 Athlon PC. In fact it is maybe a little faster.

If I had any suggestions it would be to put together a distro that was
up to date WRT its compilers and libraries, but was otherwise lean and
light.

Thaks to all!

jon norstog