Next release of AlphaCore?/What do we really need?

Mike Barnes mike at grouse.net.au
Mon Feb 13 08:01:28 UTC 2006

On 13/02/2006, at 6:44 PM, Jon_norstog AKA Thursday wrote:
> This is not a simple request, as I learned when I tried building it
> for
> Alpha.  There are dependencies on dependencies, plus you have to
> have a
> current Java development kit.  Which Sun has not releASEed the source
> code for and has not ported to Alpha since something like JDK 1.3.  (I
> hear there is a work-around but it could be gossip)

I seem to recall that the newer builds of OpenOffice are quite happy
using GCJ for their Java requirements, instead of Sun's JDK. This
shouldn't be an issue. The big stumbling block in the past was the
huge amount of non 64-bit clean code, which is why 64-bit x86 and PPC
platforms still run a version compiled for their 32-bit counterparts
- or they did, last time I checked.

I haven't looked at OO for over a year now, but I remember discussing
it with someone once and getting the idea that getting it running
using dynamic x86 emulation might be quicker. :)