Installing Alpha Core 2 on Multia

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Wed Feb 22 22:38:29 UTC 2006

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 06:05:40PM -0500, seafire at ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Anyhow, I crank up Milo and try to
> boot and keep getting a kernel panic after it loads the kernel when it tries
> to mount the root file system. I've tried the following perturbations of the
> milo boot command with no success:
>
> milo> boot sr0:kernels/vmlinuz_milo.gz root=/dev/scd0
> initrd=sr0:images/cdrom.img
>
> replacing /dev/scd0 with /dev/sr0 and /dev/cdrom doesn't help nor
> does leaving out the root= option entirely (says cant mount device
> NULL)

I think it should work with something like the following:

  milo> sr0:
  milo> boot kernels/vmlinuz-milo.gz initrd=images/cdrom.img text

Line #1 essentially sets the cwd to the CD's top directory.

Line #2 indicates kernel and INITRD but NOT root, and asks for "text"
mode, as the TGA in the Multia will prolly not work for GUI install.
A missing "root=" should indicate that the INITRD is to be used, IIRC.

Now, if your MILO is so old that it does NOT handle the "initrd=" stuff,
that message about "can't mount device NULL" may be the indicator. If it
was working before with an INITRD, then that shouldn't be the problem,
it must be something else we don't understand yet... :-\

Good luck.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com