AlphaCore 2.0 vs. AlphaServer 4100

Sergey Tikhonov tsv at solvo.ru
Wed Mar 22 11:24:05 UTC 2006

pawel.oleksiak at rieberson.no wrote:

>Witam / Hello
>
>I have AS 4100 and earlier I successfully installed AC1.0 (wih problems
>with PAL - only text mode)
>
>Now, I try install AC2.0 but it is problem during starting ... problem with
>PAL is appear and even instalation is not possible to run. Also text mode
>is not accessible (also PAL problem). I had graphics card S3 Trio, but I
>changed to ATI VooDoo Rush and also I have the same problem (maybe another
>error code during PAL problem).
>
>My question: Is it possible to install AC2.0 on AlphaServer 4100? Enyone
>did it?

It seems that there is problem with AC2 on some AS4100s. The AC2 kernel
panics, we are trying to undertand
why. Any way you would have to install UP kernel (SMP kernel doen't
work) and then use updated SMP kernel from
AC2 update directory. You could download it and try to install in
parallel on AC1 and test it. If it work - everything else
could be updated from local yum repository.

Regards,

--
Sergey Tikhonov

Solvo Ltd.