[Fwd: Re: Qlogic 1280 driver blues]

Dialup Jon Norstog thursday at allidaho.com
Fri Mar 24 22:56:43 UTC 2006

--
Allidaho LLC (http://www.allidaho.com)

---------- Original Message -----------
From: Jay Estabrook <Jay.Estabrook at hp.com>
To: axp-list at redhat.com
Sent: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 13:32:47 -0500
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Qlogic 1280 driver blues]

> The old "qlogicisp" driver was unmaintained AND buggy, and had not been
> ported forward to support the latest SCSI subsystem requirements, so
> it finally (IIRC) got dropped out of kernel.org kernels.
>
> Someone, out of the goodness of their heart (THANK YOU!), put 1020/1040
> support into the qla1280 driver, which IS maintained and not (as) buggy
> in almost all cases.
>
> And yes, DEC/COMPAQ/HP never used newer than the 1040 chipset on
> Alpha, so 1280 and such were never supported by SRM or the OSes.
>
>  --Jay++

Dear Jay & list:

Thank you for the clarification.  Maybe I can whip up some kind of network out
of junk I have lying around.  And it's nice to know the backstory on the
Qlogic driver.

There seem to be a lot of people who have got things working, so maybe going
back to an IDE CDrom (one that works, this time) will do the trick.  If not I
have an adaptec 39160, that more-or-less shows up on SRM.

jn