AlphaCore 2.0 vs. AlphaServer 4100

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Fri Mar 24 23:31:56 UTC 2006

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 04:26:57PM -0600, Bob Schmidt wrote:

> I have a question, off-topic about your alphaserver. I have a AS4000
> and have tried on numerous occasions to install linux, I have tried
> different disros and have never successfully installed it. I, to
> have a trio s3 video card. You mentioned that you installed a
> different video card. Did you just use a regular pc video card, and
> if so how did it work.

One should be able to do a "text" mode install regardless of the make
of VGA present.

However, you may have better luck replacing the Trio with a Matrox
Millennium I or II, or some Permedia-2 based card, like ELSA Gloria
Synergy.

Good luck.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com