Install of AC2 on UP1000 & CS20

Sergey Tikhonov tsv at solvo.ru
Tue Nov 14 07:14:17 UTC 2006

Stig Telfer wrote:

> Finally I had some time to tinker with AlphaCore on a couple of old
> boards.  I picked up an API CS20 (Tsunami/Shark), and a UP1000
> (Nautilus).  I put AlphaCore 2.0 on them both.
>
> The UP1000 was straightforward.  It had a clean install and
> everything appeared to go to plan.  As an encore it even dual boots
> with OpenBSD.
>
> The CS20 I tried to upgrade from a much-hacked RH7-era install, and
> that didn't go well at all.  The upgrade process produced an
> unbootable system.  Around the initrd/rootfs stage the 2.6 kernel
> would panic.  I managed to recover the system by finding one of my
> old 2.4 kernels and getting the board up into single user mode.
>
> Since the system was now in a very dodgy state I chose a clean
> reinstall, but not quite clean because I asked it not to reformat  the
> /home, /var and /opt partitions.  The only apparent problem this
> caused during the install was that /var holds the RPM database, and
> some of the RPMs of the original system claimed to be still installed
> at the end of the process.  Many of the AC2 packages also claimed to
> be installed but no files were present on the disk.  I patched that
> up and now the system is running well.
>
> The only other package problem I had was that cyrus-imapd was linked
> with an older revision of db library.  For some reason RPM didn't
> notice this.  I rebuilt a cyrus-imapd package from source and now
> everything is good.
>
> There is still a hell of a lot of Alpha specific knowledge needed to
> get these systems set up, but when was the Alpha ever the easy option?
>
> I want to thank everyone who put so much effort into packaging and
> testing this distro - great work!  What kind of help is needed for AC3?

I guess testing. :) The 99% of packages are built and available at
ftp://ftp.rdsor.ro/pub/Linux/Distributions/AlphaLinux/core/3.0b/alpha.
You could setup yum to get files from this repository.

The Xorg still doesn't correctly work on my Radeon. I did take a look at
issue - it is not AGP issues (as was suggested in one of the e-mails).
My card is PCI. As far as I could tell Xorg could not find a window on
PCI address range to map BIOS on video card. My guess could be wrong. I
could send my xorg.log, so someone with knowledge could tell what the
problem. :) Unfortunatelly, I don't have AC2 anymore and couldn't
compare with xorg.log from older version (which worked just fine).

Everything else seems to be working. Even there is a mono (C#) package
available. :) I decided not to spend time on eclipse package (since
noone was interested).

Regards,

PS. I see FC6 has 64bit version of OO. :) I guess we are the next.

--
Sergey Tikhonov

Solvo Ltd.
Saint-Petersburg, Russia