new to alpha -- having trouble booting new centos install from ha rd-drive following install on ES40

Robin Humble rjh+axp at cita.utoronto.ca
Fri Sep 8 02:43:48 UTC 2006

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 11:07:36PM +0300, Pasi Pirhonen wrote:
>CentOS-4/axp is currently officially out of support. I did EOL it from
>my part at end of August and i am not aware of anyone maintaining it
>currently.

I've got almost all(*) of RHEL Update 4 (aka CentOS/axp 4.4) built, but
it's not officially endorsed by CentOS yet, and may never be.

in the mean time, my yum repo is here:
  http://www.cita.utoronto.ca/~rjh/centos/alpha/RPMS.updates/

I'm keeping that updated as best I can.
feel free to use it :-)
the rpms that I've made aren't officially signed by the CentOS key so
unfortunately you'll need to disable the gpg check to use the repo.

>If you still insist to install it, i do suspect that you do hit the
>'infamous bug in anaconda which isn't fixed by me and everyone should
>know about it anyway' (AlphaCore does have this supposedly fixed tho :)

I'll happily include any patches sent this way!
also if anyone feels like re-spinning a CentOS 4.4 CD then feel free.

source rpms that I've had to re-patch for axp or to fix up in some way
or another are up a dir in the obvious place. changelogs in the rpms
tell the story.

cheers,
robin

(*) except these.
many of which weren't in prev CentOS/axp and a bunch of which are
InfiniBand related which isn't supported by the linux/alpha kernel
anyway. I can probably build numctl too but unfortunately NUMA is
listed as BROKEN in current kernels.

amtu-1.0.2-5.EL4.src.rpm
crash-4.0-2.30.src.rpm
devhelp-0.10-0.2.el4.src.rpm
diskdumputils-1.3.15-1.src.rpm
ibmasm-3.0-7.src.rpm
iprutils-2.0.15.8-1.src.rpm
libibverbs-1.0.rc4-0.4265.2.EL4.src.rpm
libmthca-1.0.rc4-0.4265.2.EL4.src.rpm
libsdp-0.90-0.4265.2.EL4.src.rpm
mcelog-0.4-1.12.EL.src.rpm
numactl-0.6.4-1.28.src.rpm
openib-1.0-1.src.rpm
openoffice.org-1.1.5-4.6.0.EL4.src.rpm
opensm-1.0-0.4265.2.EL4.src.rpm
sblim-1-12.EL4.src.rpm
system-config-netboot-0.1.40-1_EL4.src.rpm
tog-pegasus-2.5.1-2.EL4.src.rpm
udapl-1.2-0.4265.2.EL4.src.rpm
valgrind-3.1.1-1.EL4.src.rpm
valgrind-callgrind-0.10.1-2.EL4.src.rpm