Alpha Core 4 Cancelled

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Mon Dec 3 20:42:39 UTC 2007

Oliver Falk wrote:

> Jay will provide me with a list of TODOs to get a working system from
> the currently broken anaconda; Jay would you please be so kind? I can
> then put it on http://buildsys.zero42.at.

OK, here goes:

Booting and start of install works fine, but use TEXT mode only.

Take the defaults for packages to be installed, and 1 CD is enough.

MUST USE pre-initialized partitions for SWAP and EXT3 to be installed
to!!! The auto-partitioner is broken, and the normal partitioner will
crash if the partitions aren't already initialized.

Then, after the install:

1. no INITRD arg in the /etc/aboot.conf line (file is there, just not
   mentioned)
2. /etc/aboot.conf line needs "selinux=off" or hangs during boot
3. no appropriate driver loaded for Xorg
4. /etc/X11/xorg.conf is somewhat incomplete (no monitor section, and
    device is setup for VESA (IIRC< that doesn't work on Alpha).

As noted before, 1. and 2. need to be manually typed in during reboot
after the install finishes. And 3. can be done by setting up "yum.conf"
and pulling the appropriate driver. Then 4. needs doing manually.

Oh, and there's no MILO kernel (yet) for "those" machines... :-\

So, with a little manual dexterity, one CAN get the test ISO to install
enough of a system to bring up the network and install via "yum"
anything else desired that's on the repository (7000+ RPMS!!! :-)

That's about it.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO3-3:S/B2      (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com