Alpha Core 4 Cancelled

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Wed Dec 5 14:07:47 UTC 2007

On 12/05/2007 02:54 PM, Sergey Tikhonov wrote:
> Oliver Falk wrote:
>> On 12/05/2007 08:23 AM, Sergey Tikhonov wrote:
>> [ ... ]
>>
>>> Updating aboot and kernel was enough for start (surpriselly the new
>>> kernel booted with older (ac3) glibc).
>>>

>> It does, but is incompatible! The ultimate test for that: touch x; rm
>> -f x.
>>
>> Same is true for for kernel 2.6.17 and later (until .23) + glibc 2.6.90.
>>
> I will check (I use 2.6.21). But I was able to do a lot of building of
> mono :) Just curious.
> Again (out of curiosity) - have been most of previous kernel patches
> incorporated to upstream? I check kernel src rpm yesterday and
> see just 3 alpha specific patches and I remember a lot (especially
> module patches to support bigger modules). :)

Hm. I don't have seen those patches... But I think/hope they went
upstream...

>>> Yes, pata - support on PWS cypress chipset is broken. :( I have all my
>>> working files on IDE disk (even it works slow, but big and cheap).
>>> Hopefully Jay would have some spare time. ;)
>>>

>> I'm not quite sure; Is this broken upstream? If yes, has someone tried
>> contacting the alpha kernel guys?
>>
> I think so, I just confirmed Jay's report. The "exact" error message I
> would provide.
>>
>>> Updated glibc and surprise again - it works with older kernel too (my
>>> IDE is back). :)
>>>

>> Make sure it *really* works. :-) If you have kernel 2.6.15 you should be
>> able to work with glibc 2.6.90....
>>

>>> Now I need to find out what is correct procedure to hack packages in new
>>> koji environment ...
>>>

>> You have your koji cert, do you?
>>
> Yes. I just have no idea (tried to read about koji, but have not got the
> idea from first try) what is the common scenario to incorporate patches.
> If it the same as it was before - make it work localy, then build SRPM
> and upload it to koji...

This is the normal way. :-)

> or some more sophisticated way - just upload
> patches and changelog and it magically gets into SRPM. :)

If your patches make it from http://bugzilla.redhat.com into fedora cvs,
then you can also checkout the fedora cvs and do a simple "make build",
after you have set up your koji client correctly. :-)

>>> PS. mono from SVN fails to build with new gcc/binutils :(
>>>

>> What kind of 'fails'?
>>
> During linking of shared library ld complains about some kind of
> relocation problems on one of the modules from static library used
> (boheim GC) in building. This is something I haven't seen before....

GPREL16? Then somewhere a -fPIC seems to be missing (usual) or some
-fpic made it's way into compilation (very unusual) :-( It can also
occur, if you compile with -Os (compiler bug).

Best,
 Oliver