Torrents galore...but has anyone actually tried it?

Sergey Tikhonov tsv at solvo.ru
Wed Mar 7 20:53:47 UTC 2007

Carl Lowenstein wrote:
> On 3/7/07, Sergey Tikhonov <tsv at solvo.ru> wrote:
>> Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

>> > Oh, you want a _working_ distro? What a demanding guy :-)
>>
>> Yea, I would love to have some feedback too. :) It would be very nice to
>> know that it is really used by someone. :)
>>

>> > When I get enough round tuits (probably next weekend), I will try
>> > installing it on my UP2000+ and let you know.
>> >
>> > Steve
>> >

>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Sergey Tikhonov

Thank you very much.
> I downloaded the whole thing, and have it now running on my Alpha
> DS10.  What now seem like minor obstacles made it a 1.5-day project
> rather than the two or three hours that it should have been.  One
> should emphasize the necessity for a BSD disk label on the system
> disk, and the necessity to delete partition "c" before letting
> DiskDruid get its hands on the disk.
I thought that having bsd type partition is widely known. :)
Actually, automatic partitioning handles this problem more or less well
especially if you had
no partition at all.

> There seems to be no way to do a text-mode install, and the
> graphic-mode defaults to a resolution of 800x600, which my elderly LCD
> monitor does not support.  It does only 1280x1024 and 640x480.  Works
> fine in text mode.
You had to boot from CD adding "A" flag to boot command. Like:
 >>> boot <cd_device> -flags A

It would get you to aboot (bootloader) prompt. There is "l" command that
give you
list of predefined boot configurations. One of them - do install in text
mode (I used it during
testing and had no problem. At some point it was only working option).
The default
boot configuration is "0" - gui install.

> So I had to bring back a large old CRT monitor.  Then I had to find
> the driver for the "glint" graphics card amongst all the .rpm files on
> the 4 CDs.
>
> All runs well, especially since I copied all of the files from the RPM
> directories on the CDs to /usr/local/RPM.  I installed a most
> important piece of software, namely "mlocate", and will be using
> "createrepo" to try YUM installs from the local directory.
>
>    carl
Thanks agian for trying.

Regards,
Sergey.