Alpha Core 3 is available

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Fri Mar 9 13:41:23 UTC 2007

Am 2007-03-09 14:26, Mike Barnes schrieb:
> On 09/03/2007, at 9:20 PM, Oliver Falk wrote:
>> Maybe use mirrorlist instead? We could distribute it with the new
>> alphacore-release and manage the mirrorlist in a central point.
>> Everyone who has a mirror could be added to the list then...
>
> That's pretty much a "later" thing, I think. For now, there's enough
> bandwidth and the server's not going anywhere. I can redirect
> ftp.alphacore.info as necessary. I threw that copy together as a test
> for my own benefit, as much as anything. If Sergey or Cristian have a
> better idea, I'll go with that, or point the ftp hostname at
> ftp.rdsor.ro if they prefer.

However you like....

>> Do you use mrepo for this? It's easy to use and I already sent the
>> author some alpha-specific patches; Means, it should work out of the
>> box. :-)
>
> I'm not sure what tools I have to work with - the FTP server is actually
> running on an Ubuntu/PPC system. I'm keeping it fairly minimal while I
> get used to it. I've never really administered a live Debian-based
> system before. :) I got 'createrepo' going, so I've got a lot of support
> libraries for RPM now, but not much else beyond that.

http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/mrepo/

I'm not sure if this works fine with ubuntu...

> Also, the server's got some awkward restrictions on the network it's on
> - FTP and HTTP need to go through an authenticated proxy server, and I
> don't like keeping proxy authentication credentials on the disk, so I
> have to sync manually right now. It's the main reason I'd be keen to see
> rsync going on rdsor.ro; it's not blocked.

Ftp and http go through a proxy and rsync is open? Grrr... :-(

>>> Is anyone looking into tracking Fedora Core's released updates? I'm
>>> planning on a little "extras" repository myself, like I've got
>>> running for CentOS/Alpha, where if I build something like VLC I'll
>>> pop it in there for others.
>> That's a good idea. However, that's exactly the reason why I want
>> alpha as a secondary arch for Fedora. We could manage everything from
>> one central point...
>
> I'd love to see this happen, I really would, but whatever happens I
> doubt it'll come together in a hurry, and we probably need to plan for
> at least six months or so of doing AC3 updates manually.

You are right, of course you are! This will not happen in a hurry if it
ever happens. However, let's pray that we are wrong and it happens
faster than we expect :-)

>>> Oh, and rsync should be active on ftp.alphacore.info itself in a few
>>> hours.
>> Tested, works. :-)
>
> Good to know. :) I'm obviously getting the hang of this "Debian" thing.
>
> I also now have my DS10 running again after scavenging a video card for
> it. It's purring on my desk at work now, so I might actually manage to
> give it some attention again.

Great! It's really good to hear you're back on alpha. :-P

-of