New redhat-rpm-config for ac3

Mike Barnes mike at grouse.net.au
Wed Mar 14 11:49:41 UTC 2007

On 14/03/2007, at 9:58 PM, Mike Barnes wrote:
> Here's an example of configure's output when building
> libmad-0.15.1b, one of the several builds I saw this in:

Found an interesting reference from 2003, which places the blame on
libtool:
    http://www.arcknowledge.com/gmane.comp.gnu.libtool.bugs/2003-11/
msg00010.html

Seems that it used to fail the -fPIC test on any warning, which I
guess -fstack-protector will issue on an Alpha, which is fair enough.
It seems to have been dealt with at some point in the last few years,
and updating the package's libtool setup seems to fix this:

----
[root at genuine-article libmad-0.15.1b]# libtoolize -c -f
You should update your `aclocal.m4' by running aclocal.
[root at genuine-article libmad-0.15.1b]# aclocal
/usr/share/aclocal/libxosd.m4:9: warning: underquoted definition of
AM_PATH_LIBXOSD
   run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
   or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-
aclocal
/usr/share/aclocal/aalib.m4:12: warning: underquoted definition of
AM_PATH_AALIB
[root at genuine-article libmad-0.15.1b]# autoconf
[root at genuine-article libmad-0.15.1b]# CFLAGS=-fstack-protector ./
configure
[...]
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
[...]
----

This could be worked into the spec for a failing package, and even
resolved upstream if they update their libtool setup, without needing
to mess with architecture specific macros.