Alpha Core 3

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Fri Mar 16 22:25:36 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 09:27:31PM +0100, Oliver Falk wrote:

> Check out /etc/rpm/platform; We need to fix this for the different
> sub-archs I believe... And then check /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/*.
>
> Arg. Even uname -m reports the wrong thing on my DS10. :-( Havn't
> checked the AS1000 yet.

If we want it to behave like i*86, which does somerthing like:

	uname -mpi
	i686 i686 i386

should Alpha report on (667MHz) DS10:

	uname -mpi
	alphaev67 alphaev67 alpha

Here's from the manpage:

       -m, --machine
              print the machine hardware name

       -p, --processor
              print the processor type

       -i, --hardware-platform
              print the hardware platform

I assume we'd keep the generic "alpha" name for hardware platform (-i),
but should the sub-architecture show up in either or both of the others?

BTW, I'm VERY interested in this area, as one can get a BIG benefit
from running packages built for a specific Alpha sub-architecture on
appropriate machines (eg alphaev56 for PWS/LX/SX, alphaev6 for DS10).

Right now, "rpm" will make you say "--ignorearch" to get ANY sub-arch
package installed; that's not right.

It'd be nice, not only if "rpm" didn't force you to say that, but also
if "rpm" OR "yum" would consider it a valid potential "update" to just
install the same version package built for a (more appropriate)
sub-arch on top of an installed generic one.

I've rebuilt a lot of SRPMS targeted for alphaev67, and I'd like to
make it easy to get a more optimal system after installing from a
generic set.

Anyone have any additional thoughts on this?

Thanks!

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com