Alpha Core 3

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Sat Mar 17 02:31:40 UTC 2007

On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 08:54:36AM +1100, Mike Barnes wrote:
> Jay Estabrook wrote:
> >Anyone have any additional thoughts on this?
>
> I'm having deja vu:
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/axp-list/2005-October/msg00076.html

Ah, that DOES look a bit familiar, but didn't ever completely resolve,
IMHO.

> Also, I've started building EV6 packages, and wrote a little guide to
> enabling their use here (it's quite simple and works perfectly):
> http://ftp.alphacore.info/alpha/core/3/extras/README.ev6

Thanks!

> The same would apply to EV67, I'm sure.

And does, AFTER some tweaking... :-)

> Editing the /etc/rpm/platform file is the easy fix, and this is
> generated by Anaconda at install time, from memory. I think it's all
> covered in the thread linked above.

If you have an EV67 or EV68 (I think EV7 may also be possible and
necessary), and have edited /etc/rpm/platform to accurately reflect
your CPU, you also need to tweak a few additional files before "yum"
and "rpm" will do the Right Thing(tm) for you:

	/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rhpl/arch.py
	/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rpmUtils/arch.py

Adding appropriate entries (similar to what's already there for EV6
and EV56) for EV67 and EV68 (and EV7) will do it!

I'll try to generate some updated RPMS for the packages that own those
files (yum and rhpl, IIRC), and pass them along...

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com