Compatible graphic card

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Tue Mar 20 03:02:36 UTC 2007

On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 03:03:39PM +0100, Steven Moix wrote:

> So, I received my new radeon (an RV100) and installed it with the
> xorg-x11-drv-ati rpm and it's much better than the Matrox. I'm just
> wondering if there is something else to do, Gnome is still quite slow
> when moving windows around :/

Well, first off, make sure that the Module Section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf
contains:

	Load	"dri"

Then, install "glx-utils", and use the command "glxinfo" to see if it is
using DRI/DRM by looking for:

	direct rendering: yes

and

	OpenGL renderer string: XXXXX  (where XXX is *not* "Indirect")

One other way to speed the screen up is NOT to use Gnome or KDE, but something
a little more light weight, like XFce os some such.

Now, some fun things with 3D are:

1. "ppracer", the old TuxRacer, should be in the FCx Extras, IIRC.
2. SuperTux
3. the GL screensavers that go with the "xscreensaver" package (in AC3)

Unfortunately, the LX prolly doesn't have the horsepower for something like
"compiz" or "beryl"... :-\

> Btw, I wrote a quick "problems that everybody has" guide about AC3
> it on my wiki:
    http://www.alphatek.info/index.php/Alpha_EV56_PC164LX_AlphaCore_3

Nice write-up, Steven.

Couple of notes:

1. You may want to go back to PS2 mouse, and remove the USB card, unless you're
   going to use it for othjer things, as there's no PCI slot left for
   a sound card. Be aware, I hung my LX booting up with an ISA AWE64 in it, so
   I'm not sure how good the ISA support is... :-\

> Steven
>
> On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 18:50:11 +0100, Steven Moix <steven.moix at axianet.ch> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I don't need 3D performance, just an usable GUI (the Matrox cards are
> > horrible). So I ordered a Radeon 7000...more testings and news next
> > WE :)
> >
> > Steven

> >> Currently, all Radeons I've tested EXCEPT the original R100/7200
> >> appear to work just fine under AC3 (the problem and fix with R100/7200
> >> is known, but not in our code base); and they all are capable of
> >> running 3D apps, though "compiz" is a bit of a stretch, still... ;-}
> >>
> >> Those that have been successful for me are:
> >>
> >> 	RV100 aka 7000/VE
> >> 	RV200 aka 7500
> >> 	R200  aka 9100
> >> 	RV280 aka 9250
> >>
> >> Most have 64MB of memory; although the 9250 has 256, I've not noticed
> >> any benefit so far... :-\
> >>
> >> Some are 64-bit memory bus (7000 and some 7500s), the others are
> >> 128-bit bus, and thus have the capability of better performance.
> >>
> >> A while ago, the 7000 support was a bit unstable on Alpha, but the
> >> current support seems pretty solid.
> >>
> >> Note for those with Alphas that have working AGP support, the R300
> >> based 9700/FireGL X1 appear to be supported by the same ATI driver
> >> code base we are using (xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.6.3-1, for FC6); I'm going
> >> to try putting one in an AGP-capable ES45 and see what happens... :-)
> >>
> >> Good luck.
> >>
> >>  --Jay++

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com