Fortran Compiler

Robin Humble rjh+axp at cita.utoronto.ca
Tue Mar 27 12:48:58 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 10:38:06PM +1000, Mike Barnes wrote:
>On 27/03/2007, at 10:14 PM, Robin Humble wrote:
>>gfortran worked ok in centos4.4/axp - even did OpenMP.
>>not as fast as the compaq compilers in Tru64, but not as much in in as
>>you'd think - maybe <20%?
>How's the compatibility between Compaq and gfortran, as far as code
>goes? Have you had to move anything between the two at all?

mostly fortran is fortran is fortran. some i/o differences in record
spacing that's taken care of with gfortran flags, and some unsupported
vax-syntax stuff that requires minor code modification is fairly common
too. from what I can gather, most people's codes work ok though.

>If the performance of gfortran is acceptable and it's capable enough
>to run complex stuff, it's looking like a pretty good option since
>it's at least going to be consistent across a multitude of platforms.

definitely. gfortran is a huge leap over g77.
nice to have openmp in gcc also.

cheers,
robin