AC 3 install failures - PWS500au

Robert M. Riches Jr. rm.riches at verizon.net
Mon May 7 03:17:22 UTC 2007

> Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 23:08:38 -0400
> From: Ken Raeburn <raeburn at raeburn.org>
> So I checked the different VCs (couldn't run any commands because the
> OS has shut down), and found some stuff logged by the kernel:
>
> <6>SELinux: initialized (dev hda, type iso9660) uses genfs_contexts
> <6>sd 0:0:1:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x8000002
> <6>sda: Current: sense key: Medium Error
> <6>   Additional sense: Unrecovered read error - recommend rewrite
> the data
> <6>Info fld=0x10bb9f0
> <4>end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 17545712
>
> So, it appears I've got some kind of disk problem on the disk I'm
> installing to, and the install system hides it from me.
>
> I think at this point it was still running from the file system
> pulled from the CD, not running code from the hard drive.  If that's
> true, it would've just been an error reading or writing data in the
> install process that isn't handled properly, rather than an error
> to simply be killed...

If /dev/sda is the CDROM you're installing from, you might
see if there is a hard-disk installation method available.
If this method is available, you copy the ISOs and/or unpack
the ISOs to a hard disk partition that is not going to be
formatted during installation, then you get all the RPMs and
such from the hard disk rather than from the CDs.  It's a
lot more reliable and considerably faster.

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42 at verizon.net