Some observations regarding FC* on UP2000+

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Thu Apr 24 15:18:14 UTC 2008

Note that the Xserver REQUIRES an accurate Monitor section in xorg.conf
to tell it what resolutions it might be able to use, especially when
it can't use auto-detect to sniff the specs itself.

Do you have such? Specs can often be found in the display's docs, or
perhaps via Google...

You can use the "system-config-display" util to set it up - it gives
lots of options of manufacturers/models, as well as some "generic"
setups for CRT and LCD.

The older video cards and/or displays do NOT do as good a job of
auto-config as newer ones, so it doesn't attempt to guess better than
some minimal capability that allows 800x600 at some low refresh, which
is what you're getting.

Once you get an accurate Monitor section, you should be able to specify
the desired resolution(s) - the server will attempt to use 75Hz refresh
when possible at a resolution, backing off to 70 and 60 when either the
monitor or the card itself can't do it.

Also, sometimes VGAs can do better refresh/resolution at lower "depths";
most times X defaults to 24-bit (really 32-bit pixels); try backing off
to 16-bit to allow higher resolution - you won't really lose too much
WRT colors avail, at least for the desktop...

And yes, it sometimes is easier to do all this setup manually, by
editing the xorg.conf and not relying on the GUI setup proggies.

Good luck.

--Jay++