Some observations regarding FC* on UP2000+

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Thu Apr 24 16:37:15 UTC 2008

Dialup Jon Norstog wrote:
> From: Jay Estabrook <Jay.Estabrook at hp.com>
>>
>> Once you get an accurate Monitor section, you should be able to specify
>> the desired resolution(s) - the server will attempt to use 75Hz refresh
>> when possible at a resolution, backing off to 70 and 60 when either the
>> monitor or the card itself can't do it.
>
> might take a look at that - I don't remember a default refresh rate in my
> xorg.conf, and the hangup seems to take place while X is trying to negotiate
> the refresh rate and resolution.

Normal usage (let the server do it :-) doesn't involve telling it what
refresh rate(s) to use - it defaults to trying for the highest rate that
the monitor AND card can support, starting with 85Hz, then 75, 70 and
then 60 as a last resort. Even though an LCD may support as high as 85Hz
it may be better to fix it at 60Hz or 75, dependent on how the LCD HW
behaves.

>> And yes, it sometimes is easier to do all this setup manually, by
>> editing the xorg.conf and not relying on the GUI setup proggies.
>
> vi drives me nutz!

Both emacs and xemacs are available via yum... :-)

--Jay++