AW: Some observations regarding FC* on UP2000+

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Thu Apr 24 16:46:10 UTC 2008

Heid, Oliver wrote:

> My experience is that voodoo3s wont work on UP2k+ at all. AFAIR the x
> server is not the problem, but SRM. The voodoo3 is very limited in
> 24bit support anyway.

Yes, they (Voodoo and Banshee) seem much happier at 16bit, IMHO. Since
the tdfx driver rewrite to eliminate dependence on the GLIDE library,
3D hasn't worked on Alpha, IIRC. It might not be too hard to get
going - the driver seems to think it SHOULD be working, according to
most of the DRM-related messages coming out... :-\

> No Radeon [78]xxx either. The only card I found
> which works with decent resolution (1600x1200x24) is a matrox
> G400PCI. No 3D HW support, but xvideo (with AC-2.0, not with FC-8
> AFAIK). Yes, my XP1000 was much more forgiving. A Radeon 7000 worked
> nicely, 3D hw support and all (until it blew).

Yes, SRM console BIOS emulation on the API machines is definitely
a problem, since most of them appeared to miss the final upgrade of
that emulation that allows it to handle the more recent Radeons and
such. At least that's the case on my UP1100, which won't handle ANY
of the AGP Radeons, whereas the ES45 and ES47 AGP support is fine.

--Jay++