Alpha hardware

Jim McCarthy jkmccarthy at pacbell.net
Wed Dec 3 06:26:53 UTC 2008

Alpha fans --

Jon wrote:
> [...] and am thinking about getting one these 8meg
> Permedia 2 video cards as well
>
> http://www.weirdstuff.com/cgi-bin/item/14226
>
> Right now there seems to be plenty of this stuff to
> go around, but I can imagine it getting scarce in a
> year or two.
>
> jn

... so I thought I'd draw folks attention to this
supply of 9 DEC PBXGK-BB (Elsa Gloria Synergy -- same
Permedia 2 chipset) video cards up for auction now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120332555142

...that I came across while browsing eBay this morning.

Although the price is double that of the "Winfast" board
in Jon's link, the PBXGK-BB (besides being DEC branded)
also has the "VGA enable" switch for anyone interested
in running a dual head configuration on their Alpha. The
eBay listing doesn't mention the amount of video RAM --
likely also 8Mb (but that might be worth confirming with
the seller before making any purchase).

Cheers,

    -- Jim