My lucky day/Glint?

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Fri Feb 1 17:05:59 UTC 2008

Jon_norstog wrote:

> My first reaction to the new layout was WTF? My AC3 install still uses
> the old system, at least far as I can tell. I never had any occasion to
> use the command line to fix the X server in that version, but it does
> have the /usr/X11R6 directory and the configuration file (xorg.conf) is
> in the usual place.

AC3 has the newer Xorg layout, I believe, but the install had all the
pieces available on the multiple CDs, and more complete auto set-up
of the xorg.conf file.

At this point, it appears that F8 relies on the "vesa" driver for a
lot more both during and after the install, though I've not peeked
into the ramdisk images utilized for the install to see what's really
there.

I'm hopeful that when I (or someone else) figure out what is missing
from the Alpha F8 installation disk, that the Xorg based GUI install
will do a lot more of initial setup. We'll see...

> Incidentally, the documentation on the Xfree86.org web site does not
> reflect the new system either.  I wonder if this will cause problems for
> CAD and GIS programs?  GRASS i think especially makes a lot of calls on
> the X server.

I'd be quire surprised (floored, actually :-) if the X APIs have
changed, though they do now reflect X11 v7.x (and Xorg), rather
than the older X11 v6.x (and XFree86) found in earlier ACx releases.

IMHO, as always... ;-}

--Jay++