My lucky day

John Grzesiak johng at pcrd.net
Wed Jan 30 15:14:50 UTC 2008

My experience with this is:

1) Many times, the install kernel has issues with specific hardware related to
KVM installs. I have had the most luck executing a serial install and then
configuring the video/keyboard after the system is installed. I leave the
console on the serial port anyway, because I use a terminal server and remote
power equipment so that I can remote start and access my Alpha hardware. (They
do suck too much power to leave on)..

2) KVM switches are a problem... Even the DEC ones, unless you have
exactly the
right firmware in the KVM... After COMPAQ took over, they sort of ignored the
Alpha when it cam to KVM updates, prefering to fix only the issues presented
with compatibility with the ProLiant servers, which was their focus at that
point. The best KVM I have found for these is the NTI... but even they have a
few issues too.

3) Alpha firmware upgrade will sometimes (not often) reset a console
setting or
set some odd flags. In these cases, I will write down the most pertinent
information and default the environment and start over. It only helps in a
minor fraction of cases, but, has helped once or twice..

Perhaps it is time for a knowledge repository for this arcana.. ???? .. Sooner
or later this info is going to get lost if it does not get documented
somewhere...

This stuff has worked for me on varied Alpha hardware... Your mileage may
vary...

AS4100, AS2100A, CS20, PC164XL, AS200, etc...

--

John Grzesiak
---- P.S.T.N. 603.798.4028 ----