Anyone know if AS4100 SRM will boot IDE paddle card??

John Grzesiak johng at pcrd.net
Tue Jun 24 22:39:40 UTC 2008

All:

        I would like to put my AS4100 out as a community development server.

        I would like to do this with a IDE based solid state disk for booting
and either an iSCSI drive off of my NAS boxen as an OS drive or use one of my
Silkworms to assign a LUN from my Clariion array as an OS drive (With an Emulex
FCAL card in the 4100). I would like to do it like this, so, that I can take my
production disks off and keep them intact, so that I could use the system for
my own purposes should the need arise.

        I suppose that I could use also use a CD to boot or a SCSI/Jazz drive,
but, the solid state disk is much more reliable and lower power if, indeed, the
AS4100 SRM will see/boot a IDE card. I was thinking about the VIA VT6410 card,
but, I suppose I could find and procure something else if someone is sure that
something else would work.

        Anyone know about this ???? (I was also thinking about doing the same
with my CS20, so, I would really like to know if I can do this with minimal
expense)...

        I already have remote power cycling and control as well as terminal
servers to handle all the remote control aspects. And I have a bastion host to
allow fairly secure access to it all. So, just a couple of tech issues to solve
and a little time and I am ready to do this...

--

John Grzesiak