Multia VX40 VX41 VX42 UDB Memory

Smith, Todd Todd.Smith at camc.org
Wed May 14 18:42:23 UTC 2008

Hello,

Sorry about the cryptic subject, but I was trying to provide enough tags to archive against later.  I was doing some cleaning up the other day and I rediscovered my old VX40 UDB that had been collecting dust for quite some time.  I had purchased it to run Linux on in the late 90's and it was the my first non Intel Linux machine running RedHat 4.0.  I had some fun with it and had put it away because I had nothing better to do with it.  Fast forward, almost a decade and I find it again and I remembered the good times that I had with it and I decided that I would try to rebuild and run it again.

My goal is to rebuild the machine as a distributed computing node running SETI and probably a couple of other DC projects that I am involved in that have Alpha ports.  My first question is about memory, I know that I need 72 pin FPM True Parity SIMMs, but will 128MB SIMMs work?  I tried some HP memory that I had laying around that was x36 FPM Parity memory, but it wouldn't POST.  Obviously, 64MB SIMMs work just fine, but I would like to boost RAM to the maximum possible.  The VX40 only has 256KB of L2 Cache, and I seem to remember from that time period in the Intel space there was a correlation between L2 Cache and maximum memory size?  Can anyone shed some light on maximum memory size possible on a UDB?

Thank you for your time and patience concerning such an archaic machine.

Todd Smith

Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this message
may be privileged and confidential. If this e-mail contains
protected health information, you are hereby notified that any
strictly prohibited,except as permitted by law. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify the sender
immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your
computer.  Thank you.