gnome installation problem

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Tue Nov 4 15:01:49 UTC 2008

Hi, Alexey,

The next test set (!) of ISOs is now available on BUILDSYS.
There are 2 pretty-full ISOs, with 1024 RPMs on them, including
a more-complete set of GNOME desktop stuff, along with development
tools and libraries, and problably other stuff as well.

There may/will still be problems updating/installing additional
packages from the BUILDSYS repositories, however, as those remain
out-of-sync with my own.

And again, continue doing text-mode installs, though X should be
useable after the install, with a little tweaking of the xorg.conf
file; ie adding appropriate monitor settings.

Several other tweaks occur to me as well:

1. the kernels are built with both e100 and eepro100 drivers for the
100Mbit 8255x Intel chipsets; the e100 gives poor performance due to
misbehavior (on Alpha), so if your machine has that NIC, I recommend
using the eepro100 driver. Do this by adding "blacklist e100" to the
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file and reboot.

2. also recommended is replacing the "rhgb quiet" with "selinux=off"
in the option lines in /etc/aboot.conf, unless you WANT selinux, and
then just take off the "rhgb quiet"... ;-}

3. I prefer using "network" rather than "NetworkManager", to start up
the network during boots, which is easily done by first booting to
single user and then doing:

  chkconfig NetworkManager off
  chkconfig network on

Good luck; let us know how you make out.

--Jay++