six beeps from a 164LX machine

John Grzesiak johng at pcrd.net
Sun Nov 30 15:49:04 UTC 2008

--

John Grzesiak
---- P.S.T.N. 603.798.4028 ----

Quoting bob smith <sfmc68 at verizon.net>:

> Kazuyoshi Furutaka wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> This evening, one of my 164LX machine (11 years old, purchased
>> from DCG computer, Inc.) start emitting 6 beeps when booting...
>>
>> Sigh...
>>
>> According to its User's Manual, the meaning of the beep code
>> is "Checksum error detected when image was read back from memory."
>>
>> Are there any ways to revive it???
>>
>> Yours,
>> Kazuyoshi
>> --
>> Kazuyoshi Furutaka
>> furutaka at jb3.so-net.ne.jp

> Assuming you have not tried this, and have the same type of mem
> in each slot,
> You might try removing and reseating memory. It could be the
> pins on the mem sticks are oxidiced and need a little cleaning.
> This simple trick  might work.
> YMMV, hope this helps
> bob

As you are doing that, you might consider doing a good cleaning of the
slots and
all the chips on the board. A nice soft house-painters brush and a can
compressed air are my tools for that. It's not commonly known that dust can
conduct current when the conditions are right and there is enough of it.
I have seen cases where dust has changed the resistance on address pins enough
to cause crashes and other mis-behavior. A good cleaning and the system
went on
for years...