Fedora-9 Xorg troubles and other problems

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Thu Oct 30 15:30:18 UTC 2008

Hi, Alexey,

Sorry, that Fedora-9 ISO on buildsys.zero42.at dated Oct 06, 2008,
is quite an an old one now, which did not have a working Xserver on it,
along with MANY other deficiencies.

It should be taken down (Oliver?).

If you DO use it in text mode, PLEASE prevent "prelink" from running!
Do the following:
     chkconfig prelink off
     service prelink stop

If you don't stop it before it runs the very first time, it will trash
MANY libraries and applications, making the system unusable. Only a
fresh install is then possible... :-\

All that said, the good news is that I do have a new ISO with updated
kernel and Xserver that is known to work on Permedia cards (ELSA pm2
and VX1 pm3) and Radeons, and may work on the Matrox. No 3D yet, but
I'm making progress.

The GNOME desktop seems pretty clean, but KDE has a BIG problem
WRT unaligned accesses EVERYWHERE, and is nearly unusable because of it,
which is unfortunate because Konqueror is the only known browser to
appear to be working currently on Alpha's Fedora-9.

I've not seen the IDE problem before; I'll try to look into it.

I'll have Oliver post a new ISO soon, and announce it here.

Thanks for the feedback!

--Jay++