RedHat 7.2 on ES40 AlphaServer - Boot Problem - Help Solving

Jim McCarthy jkmccarthy at pacbell.net
Sat Dec 12 18:53:53 UTC 2009

Hi Bill --

The error message

> /etc/aboot.conf:  file not found

is certainly not a good sign, and suggests the "upgrade installation"
somehow corrupted the contents of the /boot folder contents of your old
system disk.

I just sent you a private message with step-by-step instructions for getting
the old system disk mounted on your machine alongside the new system disk,
and copying the new (working) /boot folder contents from the new system disk
back over to the old system disk, in hopes that this will allow you to boot
successfully off the old disk again (where your Mathematica installation
resides).

But sitting here now I wonder if the RH7.2 Linux for Alpha installation CDs
also had a "repair" option separate from the "upgrade" option that might
address problems with corrupted contents of /boot ?   This would certainly
be easier than restoring /boot on the old system disk manually (copying
content from the new system disk), but I don't know if that is what the
"restore" option is for, nor whether there is any risk of making matters
worse instead of better.

Others on the axp-list may know more about this than me ....

Good luck --

        -- Jim McCarthy