RedHat 7.2 on ES40 AlphaServer - Boot Problem - Help Solving

Jim McCarthy jkmccarthy at pacbell.net
Sun Dec 13 20:00:59 UTC 2009

Jon --

On my DEC PWS 600au that still runs RH7.2 for Alpha (dual boots with latest
hobbyist version of OpenVMS for AXP :-), like Bill I have a separate /boot
partition, and during startup "aboot"  pauses with a prompt:

aboot>

Replying with "l" for list, it says:

NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that all kernel paths
         are relative to /boot/

0:1 vmlinuz-2.4.9-32.5 root=/dev/sda2 initrd=/initrd-2.4.9-32.5.img
console=tt

...and so on.  Entering zero at the aboot> prompt sends it on its merry
way....

-----

So the /etc/aboot.conf that aboot failed to find on Bill's old system disk
is (I believe) really located at:

/boot/etc/aboot.conf

Meanwhile on my RH7.2 Alpha Linux system, if I do a directory listing of
/etc, I do see that there is a symbolic link that points to

/etc/aboot.conf  -->  /boot/etc/aboot.conf

... but I don't know if "aboot" requires this at startup, or if indeed (like
the aboot NOTICE above says) that all paths are relative to /boot/ including
/etc/aboot.conf ?

Regardless, it seemed to me that Bill needed to restore the /boot partition
on the old system disk --- although I now think this may not be necessary,
having learned through off-list correspondence with Bill that his ES40
configuration uses a separate disk for /usr ... and I believe that by
default Mathematica on Linux installs to /usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/...
with some executable scripts in /usr/local/bin/.

So my latest recommendation to Bill was to try replacing the /usr disk in
his newly installed RH7.2 setup with the /usr disk from his "old" RH7.2
setup, and with any luck this will restore his ability to run Mathematica.
For his Mathematica "work files" he may(?) still need to recover the
contents of his /home/bill directory from the old system, and it appears
that his /home directories reside on the root "/" partition of his system
disk.

If (?) it turns out that the "upgrade install" Bill attempted on his old
RH7.2 system erased or corrupted the partition table of the system disk (so
the former "/boot" and "/" partitions are now longer visible when the old
system disk is attached to a Linux system), is all hope lost of recovering
/home/bill from the former "/" partition ?  The Linux "wizard" skills needed
in that case exceed my abilities to coach Bill through such a process ...
suggestions anyone ?

-----

Re: Alpha-core and other newer Linux OS for Alpha:  since Bill's primary
interest in Linux for Alpha is to run Mathematica 5.0 (and based on what I
gather after some web surfing, Mathematica support for Alpha stopped
somewhere around Mathematica v5.2 -- either just before 5.2, or just after),
I was reluctant to recommend that Bill upgrade to a newer Linux for Alpha
distribution, not sure whether this would be asking for trouble (e.g., glibc
compatibility, etc).

Cheers,

    -- Jim

P.S.  As regards my own 600au Miata and its "ancient" RH7.2 Linux for Alpha
operating system, one of these days I will get around to installing
something more modern ... but like Bill, I use that only as an X-windows
(OpenMotif dual-headed) workstation platform to run a specific science
application, not as a general purpose desktop.  The only real _serious_
issue with RH7.2 that I'm aware of (having encountered this on RH7.3 on x86
some years back) is the kernel doesn't properly support FAT-32 disk
partitions larger than 128Gb ... you can mount them fine, and be working
happily along until the disk fills to the point where it tries to write to
sectors above the 128Gb mark, at which point the File Allocation Table gets
messed up ... a _serious_ issue by my definition since the result is lost
data.   On my RH7.3 x86 system, after an extensive search I located patches
I applied to the kernel source and rebuilt it to fix the problem, but I've
not pursued this on the RH7.2 Linux for Alpha platform, since USB on the
Miata is USB-1, not the high speeed USB-2 (the >128Gb FAT-32 disks I was
using on x86 RH7.3 were external USB drives).