w2k alpha

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Fri Jan 9 23:17:57 UTC 2009

Oliver Falk wrote:
> ..
> So what's the truth now? Do they expire or not? Not that I'm planning
> to  actually *really* use it, but reinstalling it all the time doesn't
> make much sense as well :-) Having a spare disk with an installation
> Windows for Alpha at hand sounds good. I've seen some tools that work
> on Alpha-Windows that I'd like to give a try...
>
> Best,
>  oliver

As already mentioned, here is the trick:
Set the BIOS date to 2024
Install.
Set date back to present.

They will "time out" 455 days after teh BIOS date of when you installed.
If you try to set to later than 2024 they "wrap around" to 1910 ( or
something like that).
I suspect a precursor of the 2038 bug.

--
With our best regards,

//Maurice W. Hilarius         Telephone: 01-780-456-9771/
/Hard Data Ltd.                FAX:          01-780-456-9772/
/11060 - 166 Avenue         email:maurice at harddata.com/
/Edmonton, AB, Canada         http://www.harddata.com//
/     T5X 1Y3/
/