The State of Alpha Linux

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Mon Jan 12 10:36:38 UTC 2009

Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 02:23:39PM +0100, Oliver Falk wrote:
>> Matt Turner wrote:
>>> The State of Alpha Linux
>
>>> We're all subscribed to this list because we use a dying platform.
>
>> You think it's dying? :-P
>
> Well, at least the Debian alpha port is not likely to continue past the
> upcoming lenny release; see
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2008/08/msg00004.html ff.

Yes, yes... I was joking. Of course. We all don't know if there will be
any distribution for Alpha in 3 years. But I try to continue my work
with Fedora/Alpha as good as I can. If the machines go south, I'm not
really willing to replace it with new ones, except someone has some
machines to give away...

> And the hardware itself is EOLed.  So even if you think it's not dying, it's
> not exactly a "living" port either. :)

Yes. The h/w is no longer produced...

[ ... ]

> I don't speak for other Debian Alpha folks here, though; perhaps there are
> still some around willing to do the work necessary to keep alpha going.

It might be wise to still support a base OS, without the X gimmicks...

-of