Secondary architectures ...

Dialup Jon Norstog thursday at allidaho.com
Wed Jan 14 18:25:34 UTC 2009

To the list:

This thread has got me thinking, maybe I should bail out?  So I did a quick
check of the usual suspects.  FreeBSD has removed support for AXP from version
7.0 but they say they will keep 6.XX going for a while.

OpenBSD supports Alpha in current version 4.4 but their hardware list is a
little short. NetBSD is still supporting Alpha, too.  But neither of these
BSDs is a substitute for a full-blown Linux distro.

Tru64 is still pretty good if you can get your hands on binaries.  I have the
latest version of ArcInfo for Tru64, but that is the only program I use under
that unix.

Probably I'll stick with Linux as long as I can.  One last good distro with a
full set of tools and libs, and I can go at least five years on it ...

jn