x-server will get some love on alpha

Michael Cree mcree at orcon.net.nz
Fri May 1 23:43:35 UTC 2009

Matt Turner wrote:
> I've been playing around testing Radeon KMS, and the results differ
> depending on whose tree I try. :\
>
> Dave Airlie's drm-rawhide tree yields a nice fbcon, but X won't start.
> Jerome Glisse's drm-next-radeon tree, which is what will eventually be
> moved upstream fails to start.

I've just downloaded Glisse's tree and checked out the drm-next-radeon
branch.  I don't get as far as you as I get compilation errors:

  CC      drivers/ide/ide-atapi.o
drivers/ide/ide-atapi.c: In function 'ide_io_buffers':
drivers/ide/ide-atapi.c:86: error: implicit declaration of function
'sg_page'
drivers/ide/ide-atapi.c:86: warning: passing argument 1 of 'PageHighMem'
makes pointer from integer without a cast
drivers/ide/ide-atapi.c:90: warning: passing argument 1 of 'kmap_atomic'
makes pointer from integer without a cast
drivers/ide/ide-atapi.c:95: error: implicit declaration of function
'sg_virt'
drivers/ide/ide-atapi.c:95: warning: assignment makes pointer from
integer without a cast
drivers/ide/ide-atapi.c:106: error: implicit declaration of function
'sg_next'
drivers/ide/ide-atapi.c:106: warning: assignment makes pointer from
integer without a cast

(this is with a Compaq XP1000 running Debian testing.)

I guess I could disable compilation of ide and atapi in the kernel
config, but the cdrom is the device I boot from!  Then again, would I be
correct in thinking that the boot device is actually only read by the
SRM for the kernel, and once the kernel starts booting the boot device
is not needed anymore (the root partition is on a SATA disc which the
SRM can't boot from) thus I could indeed remove ide/atapi support for
testing purposes?

Cheers
Michael.