Trouble booting UP2000+

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Mon May 18 03:20:26 UTC 2009

Matt Turner wrote:
> Thanks for the responses.
>
> Peter Petrakis lent a hand and explained how to to reflash the SRM,
> the process being
> 1) Created a debug cable
> 4) Debug monitor (available on COM1) allows you to load SRM over the serial line
> 5) Once in SRM, you can reflash the SRM onto the board from a floppy disk
>
> Thus far, I have created my cable and am able to get into SROM. Using
> the 'xm' and 'xb' commands (documented in the SROM mini-debugger guide
> [0]) I should be able to start the debug monitor.
>
> I do
> SROM> xm
> A> 300000  ! default address
> D> [size of the file in bytes in hex]
> and then transfer the file over the debug cable.
>
> In EBSDK there is ebsdk/ebboot/dp264/dp264dbm.{cmp,hex,img,rom,sr}. I
> have tried loading the .cmp, .rom, and .img files. The img file
> finishes transferring and the SROM> prompt returns, but with the rom
> and cmp files the SROM> prompt does not appear again, as if waiting
> for more input. (I try to use the .cmp file because it is shown being
> used twice in the SROM guide)
>
> With the rom and img files, I can send a break and get the SROM>
> prompt again. From here, regardless of which image I have loaded,
> running the 'xb' command it prints '.06' and hangs. I think further
> output is supposed to go over COM1, so I watch it on another serial
> cable, but nothing ever happens. I even tried the test programs like
> 'hello', 'regtest', etc; None does anything other than printing '.06'
> to SROM.
>
> I'm waiting to receive an MMJ->serial adapter. Once I get it, I can
> try on my LX and see what should happen. The UP2000+ could be bad,
> after all.
>
> Again, I'm pretty stumped. What should I try next?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

Also hook up a term to the "regular" serial port on the back of the board.

I seem to recall at some point the term interface "jumps" to the regular
tty, not the debug port.

--
With our best regards,

/Maurice W. Hilarius         Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.                FAX:          01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue         email:maurice at harddata.com
<mailto:email:maurice at harddata.com>
Edmonton, AB, Canada      T5X 1Y3/