1.7 and 7.5 status: we're frozen

Michael Cree mcree at orcon.net.nz
Wed Sep 2 21:36:59 UTC 2009

On 1/09/2009, at 12:42 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
> I just received the attached email from the xorg-devel list. X.Org 7.5
> (xserver-1.7) has been frozen for release. I've not been able to get
> it to work on Alpha.
>
> I just received xserver commit access today, and I want to make sure
> that X.Org 7.5 works on Alpha in time for its release - so I need your
> help.

Thanks for the heads up.  I've started the compilation of git master
on an Alpha ev67 system running Debian testing.  It will be
interesting to see if it works - the Xserver (version 1.6.3) in Debian
unstable crashes/kernel oops on initialisation on my Alpha (in the
int10 code I think).

I see you have done a major rework of the Xserver's compiler.h file.
Nice.  It looks more complete and is certainly much easier to read and
follow.

> I need testing of various video cards/drivers, namely
>  o xf86-video-ati, with[0] and without KMS
>  o xf86-video-glint [0]
>  o xf86-video-mga

I have ati cards -- an RV280 and an RV610.  It may be the weekend
before I can complete the compilation of the Xserver and run it.

> I don't care if you don't like IRC, please join for a couple days to
> help us make sure that we can have a quality X.Org/Alpha release.
> #alpha on Freenode.

Sorry, but your instructions for that (in your reply to someone else's
reply) are complete gobbledegook to me.

> So, does anyone care about X on EV4 or EV5 Alphas?

I don't.

Cheers
Michael.